Sunday, July 22, 2007

There will be no more Harry Potter books.

I'm not interested in spoiling anything, but I LOVE JO ROWLING. Least of all because it was dedicated to me, among millions of others. (I knew she would do that.)
Also because this story was just told so so so well. I'm already starting to realize that there are a lot of questions that are still open, but everything that's important was closed. A lot of people died, some good and some who really had it coming to them.
I was thinking, the beauty of Harry Potter is that you can be so wrong in speculating about certain things, but still love it so much. Every serious Potter fan has theories, and I had my own, and some of them were very wrong. (Some weren't. But never mind...) I love the dawning revelation, when I find out that a theory I had been arguing against for 2 years is true. And on the other hand, I love Harry realizing something we fans realized years ago.
I just have to say, there are a lot of characters in the HP books. But never has a book changed my opinion about so many people. I can't count how many times I fell in love with various characters in this book. And that epilogue! Just the word "Epilogue" in the contents creeped me out. It could have been a bit longer, to find out about more people, but we got what we needed.
The book was really scary, I have to say. I caught quite a few references to the Holocaust and Nazism, which I guess made me identify with the book that much more. Kinda like the end of the Shadow Children series (not to compare them to HP) where each one gets darker and scarier and you feel like the whole thing is controlled by Nazis.
And now, it's all over. Kids like my brother Natani are the first in a generation who will never have to wait for a HP book. Wow.
Right now, I'm listening to MuggleCast's post-release episode and I'm already realizing how much we just found out in this book. All those things Jo has said in interviews and the previous books are starting to come together, and it's just so cool...
There are probably more things I wanted to say but I forgot... so I may be back later.
Oh! I remembered something. Something really important:
Thank you, Jo! For everything. For all the books, and the extra info, and for the fandom, and for opening up to us fans. I'm probably still not done, but I just had to say that.

No comments: