Sunday, July 15, 2007

I don't want to start another post with "Hey, how's it going?"

... So I won't.
That said, I had a great time on Shabbat yesterday. I was in Ariel, with the girls I'll be working with next year and the girls who were there this past year. It looks like a nice group, even though I don't know which ones of them I'll be living with. Basically, the way it works is that the 14 Bnot Sherut in Ariel form something called a "gar'in" which works with the small group of religious families in Ariel to spread religion and just generally improve the situation in the city. There's a lot to do, so I'm hoping for a great year. The families who live there are all really nice, and the city is so small and cute. I liked it. :-)
I'm taking my really last Bagrut tomorrow. It's not overly important at this point, because it's only to improve a grade that can't get me more than 5 points, and as it is I haven't studied much, but I'm taking it anyway beacuse I can't lose anything over it.
My new Israeli cousins aren't living with us anymore, even though my new Israeli Savta still is. We're still seeing them a lot, and they'll be here this Shabbat.
Speaking of this Shabbat, it's July 21st. Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! 'Nuff said.
(Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is coming out on July 21st. Just in case you didn't know.)
Speaking of Harry Potter, the fans are getting together and trying to stop the Genocide in Sudan. PotterCast just released a special episode to raise awareness, and to connect the messages in HP to the situation in Darfur. There is an organization called the Harry Potter Alliance, whose purpose has always been to use the messages in HP to promote different causes in our world, and now they've teamed up with the Wizard Rockers and HP fansites such as The Leaky Cauldron to stop the violence in Darfur. Personally, I hadn't really thought much about this issue until now. But this is real genocide, the same thing that happened to my own people 60 years ago. Nobody did anything about it then, and we lost 6 million people. In Sudan, 2 million people are at risk, and now is the time to act. So let's all check out these links, and do what we can.
PotterCast's Darfur page: http://pottercast.the-leaky-cauldron.org/page/darfur (There are a lot of links on this page to various things we can do.)
Wizards and Muggles Rock For Social Justice! CD in support of the HP Alliance can be bought here: http://www.myspace.com/cheaprent
See what the situation in Darfur looks like here: http://www.eyesondarfur.org/

No comments: