Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Oy, guess what?

My father walked in tonight with... another guinea pig. He'd been talking about doing that since we came to the conclusion Lucy wasn't pregnant because they say guinea pigs are happier with company, and tonight he actually did. Mira and I had been lobbying for everyone to agree to call her Ethel for as long as we'd been talking about getting another one, and tonight we actually managed to convince them. We almost didn't call her that because my brother Noam (age 3) was saying "Effel" at first but then he managed to say "Ethel".
So, let me just say that anyone who expected Lucy to be welcoming toward her new roommate was very wrong. Ethel is very small, probably as big as Lucy was when we got her, and let me make this very clear: Lucy hates her. I'm finding this very amusing, because I never really liked Lucy (but that's mutual) and had no plans to like Ethel. My father put Ethel in the cage, and Lucy came out and started chasing her around the cage. Ethel clearly didn't like it, so she went into the "house". Lucy followed her in and Ethel went out. Then they found a new way to get out of the house in case someone was blocking the exit, by pushing it up and then squeezing out. Anyway, we brought down some carrots, and Lucy ate both of them. My father said they were making noises he hadn't heard before and I said Lucy was probably laying down some ground rules, the first of which is: "I get all the veggies."
Some of us don't think Ethel will make it through the night.

No comments: