Thursday, April 12, 2007

And... we're done!

I finished Plain Truth. I loved it! My Sister's Keeper is an awesome book, quite honestly one of the best books out there (Go read it!), but there was something really special about Plain Truth. I learned so much about the Amish people. Who knew that Amish teens are allowed to do things like go to movies or the mall before they're baptized at 18, or that their households are allowed to have appliances- as long as they run on gas? I didn't (but Jodi Picoult did, because she spent a week with the Amish), and just for that learning experience, Plain Truth is a great book. Other than that, since the book is about a murder trial, I also learned a lot about how the court system works. I'm not at all into the legal stuff, but I was fascinated by what goes on in there. My Sister's Keeper is also about a trial, but it's much simpler. I had no idea I liked that stuff. Maybe I should finally take my parents up on their advice and read some Grisham books...
Jut for a quick summary. Plain Truth begins with the discovery of a dead newborn in a barn in Amish country. Katie Fisher, and 18-year-old unmarried Amish girl, appears to be the baby's mother, and evidence is found that implies that Katie killed him. Ellie Hathaway, a very successful lawyer from Philadelphia, has just begun to question the morality of her career, when she's asked to defend Katie. In order to do so, she needs to get to know the Amish people up close- and therefore experiences a massive culture clash. She finds herself learning a lot about the Amish, and about herself as well.
I'm done writing now. Enjoy!

No comments: