Saturday, December 30, 2006

Still obsessed with Wicked!

...and it's been almost 5 months. That musical was phenomenal. I listen to the soundtrack, I find out stupid little details about the current, past and future casts in all of the productions, and I get defensive about the Wicked Witch of the West (known dearly to me as Elphaba). It's like, a serious thing for me. And I suddenly felt the need to vent.
While I'm on the subject, I should mention that I'm reading Son of a Witch, the sequel to Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. I'm about halfway through, and I'm not loving it, I think, for lack of characters from Wicked. It's not bad, but I never particularly liked Liir (Elphaba's son- in the book, not the musical) so what happens to him is not very intriguing to me.
However, I did love the dedication at the beginning of the book. Because the sequel to The Wizard of Oz was dedicated to some of the cast members from The Wizard of Oz on Broadway, Gregory Maguire dedicated Son of a Witch to the cast, creators and crew of Wicked. I was so excited when I saw that!
Back to my obsession. I can't see myself ever getting over it, but I know that's wrong. I'd really love to see it again, but I'm not going to be anywhere it's peforming for at least a year and a half, and next chance I have to see a broadway musical, I'm probably not going to see Wicked, since I can only see one musical when I'm in the States, every 2 years, and I might as well see something I haven't seen before. Right now I'm searching for a fansite to quench my thirst, but the internet isn't providing anything worthwhile. I should go to sleep.

No comments: