Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Neturei Karta

Yes, I'm writing my big paper this year on Neturei Karta. Neturei Karta is a group of Chassidim extremely opposed to Zionism. They believe Israel- my home, I might add- has no right to exist, they maintain close ties with various Arab organizations, and the reject the State of Israel even though a bunch of them live here. I should also mention that they're somewhat outcast within the Chassidim.
I've just been taking notes from their site, which inconveniently enough, isn't available in Hebrew (on principle, it looks like, although it is available in Arabic and German and a bunch of other languages) which means that everything I read needs to be translated into Hebrew.
Anyway, their site is driving me crazy! Everything they say is so opposed to everything I believe in, and it's hard. I mean, taking notes is easy because their views are so clear, but whoever said Zionism rejects Hashem? And since when does most of the world believe (wrongly, of course) that Zionism and Judaism are the same thing? I certainly don't.
On that happy note, have a good week!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What point would there be to having the site in Hebrew? Most religious Jews a: Don't have internet and b: have a wealth of sources in Rabbinical literature. There is certainly no point in trying to convince zionists that Neturei Karta opposes them. The site is aimed at explaining that to everyone else.

Tamar said...

I don't agree with most of that. There are a lot of religious Jews with access to the internet (for example: me), and I'd assume that a nice amount of religious Zionists would be interested in what the Neturei Karta have to say. This is actually why I wanted to write about them. Not to mention, you'd think they would want to share their ideas with anyone at all, especially Zionists.

Anonymous said...

I'm in America. But you can see if this works. I broke down the url because blogger screws up long urls for some reason. You'll have to copy-paste
http://hydepark.
hevre.co.il/topic.
asp?
topic_id=2103727

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. Apparently the hotline is only in yiddish.

Tamar said...

Thanks anyway. What did it say there?